Bicycle riding is one of the best exercises for controlling cardiovascular risk factors, such as high blood pressure, cholesterol and diabetes.
When this sport is frequently practiced, it helps to decrease body weight, reduces stress and is also ideal due to its low impact on joints. Practicing this exercise for more than one hour a week protects against coronary diseases. In addition, in those who already suffer from or have a cardiovascular risk, it is also recommendable, provided it is practiced in a recreative and not in a competitive manner.
Take into account the following advises suggested by the Heart Spanish Foundation:
- Maintain a good hydration and watch feeding during long journeys.
- Try to eat two or more hours between meals and training
- Avoid the hottest hours of the day and use solar protection
- Watching that your posture on the bicycle is comfortable and relaxed. Learn here the suitable positions when riding bicycle.
- Adjusting bicycle saddle height according to your stature; as well as the bicycle guide position. “Saddle height should allow your knees to be a little bended when the pedal is closer to the floor”.
See also: When riding a bike becomes a sport