Trends 5 October, 2018 Maria Clara Restrepo E.
At look the conversations in whatsapp should not be equated to those that are physically engaged. Be sure to be assertive and empathetic.
Advisor Santiago Duque ochoa Psychiatrist
You probably know the story of an acquaintance of yours who left the whatsapp group of his family because his aunt had him full of prayer chains that he sent, every day, at dawn, or he also knows the story of an uncle who was He distanced himself from his nephew after having a heated meeting about politics by this same means, but never confronted each other face to face.
The new digital trends are forcing us to assume different ways of communication in a virtual world, which many people of different ages, genres and tastes enter without knowing, or without having tools as basic as rules of respect and respect, the same that must prevail in day-to-day physical social relations.
In 2017, the Khomri Law came into force, known as the right to disconnect from work, to guarantee respect for free time and holidays.
It seems common or crazy, but this lack of rules, has distorted the meaning, for example, chat or groups of whatsapp, which initially were conceived as the bridge to unite families, work teams, friends, gymmates, to give news, schedule meetings, congratulate for birthdays, among other reasons, becoming, in some cases, a double-edged sword that breaks ties and brings conflicts.
“These groups fulfill a clear and strict sense, but if this is blurred, the intimacy of the human being begins to be lost, when he tries to convince others of his point of view through religious, political, social and scientific messages, which begins to generate friction between the different contacts. This is the first limit that breaks down in these communities, “explains the psychiatrist Santiago Duque.
For this reason, the greatest challenge offered by this type of written communication, of emoticons and audios, is from the point of view of language, to try that the messages have an important load of neutrality, assertiveness and empathy. “Many times we do not understand the tone with which the other writes things and punctuation, sometimes, is not the most appropriate, which lends itself to misinterpretation. The reading is modified according to the emotion with which I am reading, then two or three hours may pass after a message that went unnoticed and starts a person who felt injured by this information to comfort, often inadequately, who sent it from a reading of their reality, “adds the specialist.
The ideal, therefore, is to understand the context in which that interlocutor wrote, under what emotions or situations, to learn not to judge a priori and to engage in conversations with correct, coherent, clear and convincing information that motivates a positive talk among the different members. It is also worth taking a moment of reflection before responding to the messages in an explosive manner, deciding whether or not to read the contents or simply disconnect. Silence is also an answer. (You may be interested: Love online – in Spanish)
Guidelines to consider
To achieve an adequate interaction in the whatsapp groups, it is recommended:
- Define the contents that are going to be treated.
- Avoid touching issues such as politics, religion, sexuality, intergenerational differences and leaving them for physical encounters. Avoid moral judgments.
- If you are going to express anger, contextualize the group of the situation before sending the message.
- Do not believe the owner of the truth, because the other may feel vulnerable and identify this as an aggression.
- Use the tool to give information such as location, news, schedule meetings, get the positive out of each contact.
- Refrain from sending explicit or pornographic content out of respect for the members of the group.
- If a member resorts to inadequate information, remind them of the meaning of the group to change their behavior.
- The behaviors are not the same in a chat of fathers and mothers of the school, than in one with the brothers or coworkers.
- Always use the expressions “please” and “thank you”.