Maintaining a healthy lifestyle that includes regular exercise and a balanced diet is also good for your eyes.
For those who suffer from eye conditions or may suffer from them, the BrightFocus Foundation suggests including the following foods in your diet in order to reduce some risk factors.
- Fruits and vegetables that contain vitamin C: Citrus fruits, tomatoes, broccoli, strawberries and green leafy vegetables.
- Foods with vitamin E: Eggs, fortified cereals, nuts, vegetable oils and whole grains.
- Foods that contain zinc: These include oysters, red meats, poultry, beans, nuts, certain types of seafood, whole grains, fortified cereals and dairy products.
- Sources of omega 3 fatty acids: Salmon, sardines, trout, tuna, nuts and flaxseed oil.
- Foods that are rich in vitamin A: Liver, sweet potatoes, milk, egg yolks and certain vegetables such as carrots.
See also: Caring for your eye health