It is important to have medical insurance, keeping their contact numbers at hand as well as attention service from the insurer.
The Health Ministry of Colombia offers travelers other general recommendations:
- When coughing or sneezing, cover your nose and mouth with a handkerchief, disposable or otherwise. If this is not available, cover them with the internal part of your arm but never with your hand. Never come in contact with people who are sick.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after intake of foods, after coughing or sneezing and before using the restroom.
- If no soap and water are available, use hand disinfectant containing at least 60% alcohol.
- Drink only treated or bottled water.
- Use sun protection.
- To reduce risk of insect bites, keep repellents on hand.
- If an animal bites or scratches you, wash the wound with abundant water and soap, then consult the doctor.
- Purchase alcoholic beverages (liquor) only in authorized establishments.
- Avoid intake of raw foods different from fruit and vegetables that can be peeled.
- Do not scratch your eyes, nose or mouth with dirty hands.
Related: Keep your vaccines updated