Surely you have heard of how complete swimming is as a physical exercise, but what are the exact benefits of it?
- It makes you stronger, more resistant and more flexible at the same time. It is an excellent cardio exercise as it improves your lung capacity and cardiorespiratory fitness. Due to the friction and the weight placed on the body from the water, it also makes your muscles perform similarly to the way they would when lifting weights.
- Has an impact on most of the body’s muscle groups. Because it is an exercise that does not target a specific part of the body and involves different types of strokes, it strengthens both your legs and arms, abdomen, biceps, triceps, glutes and other muscles.
- Helps you to lose weight. The level of physical activity that you receive from swimming allows you to burn a considerable amount of calories, which is why it is one of the best exercises for losing weight.
- Lowers your risk for injury. Swimming is a very safe sport both for people with heart and bone problems as it as it is a non-contact sport thereby avoiding the cause of injuries, nor is there a risk of falling.
- It relaxes the mind. When swimming, the feeling of being in the water makes you relaxed and at peace. The body releases tension and stress levels are reduced, leading to a positive state of mind. Similarly, the body and mind feel more relaxed after this exercise.