Staying positive and motivated can help you live a balanced life. It also helps aid in making healthy decisions, both about diet and about being active.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers a few tips on how to have a positive mindset:
- Choose an exercise or physical activity that you really like. While many people may prefer to walk, others may prefer jogging or taking dance classes. One idea is to listen to music or audio books while working out.
- Schedule activities ahead of time, just as you would with anything else that was important.
- Recognize your own achievements. Set short-term goals and plan rewards.
- Be flexible when changing plans.
- Spend time with friends. Limit exposure to negative people.
- Take a break from the office, school or everyday life with day trips or short vacations.
- Read an inspiring book.
- Offer to be a volunteer. Helping others can improve your emotional perspective.
- If you are a parent, it can be useful to help your children develop good emotional health. Caregivers are the most important role models.
- Take time to have fun and connect with each other. Playtime is part of a healthy life for all ages.
Keeping these tips in mind will help people take control of their lives, feel good about the choices they make, have energy, improve their physical health, have a positive mindset, enjoy life more and be a role model for family and friends.
Related article: Positive thinking and wellbeing