Antibacterial gel can be used, yes, but not in excess Antibacterial gel can be used, yes, but not in excess

If you are someone who uses hand sanitizer all day, be careful. Too much of this product can cause allergic reactions, skin damage, and poisoning.

As a measure to prevent and minimize the risk of coronavirus transmission, experts have suggested using antibacterial gels several times per day. However, a study conducted by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) warned of the risks that can result from overusing this product.

According to the FDA, several gels contain methanol, a chemical that can become toxic after abundant applications to the skin or direct contact with airways.

In addition to this, excessive hygiene and cleaning using this type of disinfectant breaks the skin’s initial barrier of defense, as well as all of its protective barriers, which could leave you even more exposed to the virus and with problems such as dryness or severe damage to the skin.

In light of this, the World Health Organization (WHO) has provided some recommendations:

  • Prioritize hand washing with water and soap before using any other type of chemical.
  • Do not allow children to use these types of gels. Only use them when they are strictly necessary.
  • Check the components of hydroalcoholic substances and do not use it if it contains methanol.
  • Do not smoke after applying this substance to your hands.

Read also: Good hygiene for life, in three steps