Back pain is a common medical problem that affects 8 of every 10 people at some point in their lives.
According to the National Health Information Center, one of the best ways to prevent pain in this area of the body is to keep your back muscles strong. Follow these steps to help protect your back and prevent back pain:
- Do back-strengthening and stretching exercises at least 2 or 3 times a week.
- Stand and sit up straight.
- Avoid heavy lifting. If you do lift something heavy, bend your knees and keep your back straight. This way, your leg muscles will do most of the work.
- Stay active and eat a balanced diet.
- If you are overweight, try to lose weight to reduce the strain on your back.
Types of back pain
Acute: This can come in the form of sudden or dull and constant pain. If it can last for a few days to a few weeks. It is often caused by an accident, fall or by lifting something that is very heavy. It often improves without the need for treatment.
Chronic: Lasts for more than three months. Most cases of chronic back pain can be treated without the need for surgery.
Also read: How to prevent and treat back pain (article in Spanish)