Before 30 June, 2016 María Alejandra Tavera
During this Children’s Month, our organization promoted a fluoride varnish application day in order to foster good dental health.
During this Children’s Month, Coomeva Medicina Prepagada conducted a campaign to improve the dental health of the children who visited Comprehensive Healthcare Units in seven cities of Colombia.
In total, 124 children were enrolled in the Elite Dental program, who in late April benefitted from our one day session of fluoride varnish application in nine Sinergia healthcare units of the country: UIS Cacique in Bucaramanga, Cali Norte, Cali Unicentro, Palmira, Pereira , Armenia, Bogota, Medellin Laureles and Medellin Poblado.
Protection and Prevention
Fluoride varnish is a protective coating that is applied onto the teeth in order to prevent cavities or tooth decay, or to stop it while it is still in its early stages. This varnish is a sticky substance, so that when it is applied it easily adheres to the teeth making the tooth enamel much stronger. It is a quick and painless process.
The campaign was sponsored by Colgate Palmolive, who, along with Coomeva Medicina Prepagada created the “Alliance for a Cavity-Free Future”. During this session, a film starring Dr. Rabbit was screened for all attendees in order to reinforce the importance of good oral hygiene. The event was enlivened by professional recreationists and face painters.
In addition, children who attended the UIS for other services, such as pediatric appointments or vaccinations, were also able to enjoy some recreational activities, including the film screening, and they received a gift on behalf of the Dental Elite Program (a coloring book, color pencils and balloons) accompanied by a preventive educational talk on dental hygiene and care.
Join these children in the application of fluoride varnish
It is important to make this procedure a fun event for your children, since it is also painless and quick. Remember that this is a protective layer that will prevent the appearance of tooth cavities in the future.
- Children should eat and drink before receiving the application of fluoride varnish.
- They must brush their teeth before the application of the fluoride varnish, which does not taste bad.
- Children must not have any food or drinks within two to four hours following the application.
- Do not offer them hard or sticky foods, like candy or gum.
- Avoid brushing or using toothpaste for one day following the varnish application.
- Be careful not to brush longer than usual to remove a slight yellow color that may result from the application of the varnish, since it will progressively disappear on its own.
- Take your children to the dentist every six months for dental checks and guidance on oral hygiene and care, and, shall it be necessary, to promptly identify risk factors and tackle them at an early stage
Elite Dental Benefits Program
- Privilege to choose from a wide network of professionals across the country and obtain a direct consultation with specialists.
- Ease of being protected in case of need for new treatments and accidents.
- Home medical visits 24 hours a day (applies to Cali, Medellin, Barranquilla, Cartagena and Bogota).
- Broad coverage such as general anesthesia in case of accident; frenectomy; preventive and corrective orthodontics, regardless of age; oral cancer treatment; and tooth whitening, among others.