As we age, we experience a greater risk of falling, the consequences of which also become greater. To prevent them, the Madrid HM University Hospital offers the following recommendations:
- Try to have good lighting, especially if there are stairs.
- Use the hand rails found above the stairs.
- Avoid the use of slick adhesive strips or rugged surfaces in slippery bathtubs and showers
- Use handles to support yourself in the bathtub.
- Check to see that the floor is not slippery.
- At home, try to use rugs that will not slip out from under you.
- Regular exercise increases the strength in your legs and improves your balance.
- In public areas, find ramps to access different areas and use elevators to go up and down floors.