When work-related stress interferes with your normal life, it is time to take action. All people at some point in their lives may experience this, however.
The following test will provide you with an individual estimate of the work-related stress you are experiencing. This test is adapted from the test made by psychologists Jesús Pérez Bilbao and Manuel Fidalgo Vega in their book Overall Job Satisfaction, published in 1979.
Circle how you feel with regard to each situation on a scale of 1 to 7, 1 being “very unsatisfied” and 7 being “very satisfied.”
|1. Physical conditions of your work.||1||2||3||4||5||6||7|
|2. Freedom to choose your own work method.||1||2||3||4||5||6||7|
|3. Your coworkers.||1||2||3||4||5||6||7|
|4. Acknowledgement you receive for a job well done.||1||2||3||4||5||6||7|
|5. Your immediate supervisor.||1||2||3||4||5||6||7|
|6. Responsibility assigned to you.||1||2||3||4||5||6||7|
|8. The opportunity you have to apply your skills.||1||2||3||4||5||6||7|
|9. Relationship between management and employees at your company.||1||2||3||4||5||6||7|
|10. The opportunities you have for promotion.||1||2||3||4||5||6||7|
|11. How your company is managed.||1||2||3||4||5||6||7|
|12. The consideration given to the suggestions you make.||1||2||3||4||5||6||7|
|13. Your work schedule.||1||2||3||4||5||6||7|
|14. The variety of tasks you perform at work.||1||2||3||4||5||6||7|
|15. Job stability.||1||2||3||4||5||6||7|
- Overall job satisfaction: This corresponds to the total of all the items. The minimum total is 15 (minimal satisfaction) and the maximum total is 105 (maximum satisfaction). The median or midway point is 60.
- Intrinsic job satisfaction: This is the satisfaction you have with regard to the responsibilities you have, the type of tasks you perform and your opportunities for promotion. Add the even numbers (2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 and 14). The minimum total is 7 and the maximum is 49. The neutral point is 21.
- Extrinsic job satisfaction: This includes factors such as management, schedule and wages. Add the odd numbers (1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 and 15). The minimum total is 8 and the maximum is 56. The neutral point is 32.
Benefits of having a greater level of satisfaction:
- A better overall mood and more positive attitudes both at work and in your personal life.
- A better physical and mental state of health, less stress and less psychosomatic conditions.
- You will be less prone to be absent from work or arrive late.