Heel pain is often the result of too much strain being placed on it. It can also be caused by an injury, however. MedlinePlus provides us with an explanation for this.
Some of the reasons why pain in this area of the foot can occur include wearing shoes without enough cushioning or support, running too frequently on hard surfaces such as concrete, stiffness in the calf or Achilles tendon, a sudden inwards or outwards twist of the heel, or landing on the heels violently or unevenly.
The following tips can help alleviate heel pain:
- Using crutches to take the weight off the feet.
- Resting as much as you can for at least one week.
- Icing the area that hurts. Do this for between 10 and 15 minutes at least twice a day, and more frequently during the first two days.
- Use proper fitting shoes.
- Use heel cushions, felt pads in the heel region or insoles in your shoe.
- Use night splints.
- See a doctor if the pain does not improve after two to three weeks of treating it at home.