Adults have a significant influence on children’s diets.
One helpful strategy is to teach and give them valuable information about the food they eat and involve them in the world of cooking.
Take on our Health Challenge and have fun with your children as you teach them healthy habits.
Keep in mind:
- Teach by example: It is important for children to see that their parents eat what they are asked to eat themselves.
- Go shopping together: This is an opportunity for children to learn about the universe of food; not just about its different varieties, but its origin, history and properties.
- Choose healthy products: Ideally these are natural and involve the different food groups, proteins and nutrients that children need.
- Create stories and allow for children to be a part of them: Including them in planning and cooking meals and being creative in the kitchen are some good ways to get them to develop healthy eating habits.
Read other health challenges:
- Not-so traditional legumes and vegetables that are healthy for you
- Is there such thing as good fat?
- Sugar: getting just the right amount
- How to lower your salt intake