Prevent a caffeine overdose Prevent a caffeine overdose

Caffeine is an antioxidant that increases muscle strength, stimulates the nervous system and is used to treat some diseases. In excess, however, it can be damaging to your health. 

The FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration) has found that 80% of U.S. adults include caffeine in their daily diet either through coffee, tea or chocolate. Many of them, however, do not calculate how much they are consuming each day and without knowing it, they can trigger an overdose.

But how much is too much? The FDA indicates that the limit is between 100 to 200 mg a day (two to three cups of coffee). “But it is different for each person. How caffeine affects people depends on their size, sex…Experts agree that 600 mg (four to seven cups of coffee) or more each day is too much.”

According to the webpage Medline Plus, the main symptoms of a caffeine overdose in adults include difficulty breathing, diarrhea, vertigo, hallucinations, fever, thirst and vomiting. If you experience these symptoms, see your general practitioner immediately.

To prevent this type of overdose, in his blog, Dr. Mehmet Oz recommends not consuming caffeine after 2:00 p.m. He also advises finding supplements that can serve as a replacement to the effects of this antioxidant.