A colostomy is when a part of the colon is taken out through the abdominal wall. The food we eat is essential to the proper functioning of the digestive system.
According to the University of Navarra Clinic in Spain, a colostomy is temporary if the cause that made it necessary is improved and the digestive tract can be restored. If the colon cannot be restored, the colostomy must be permanent. In these cases, it is important to have a restricted and balanced diet. The following are some recommendations:
- Eat natural yogurts and drink herbal teas.
- Drink between 1.5 to 2 liters of water a day
- Avoid carbonated beverages
- While a strict diet is not necessary, it is important to be careful with foods that can cause gas, diarrhea or constipation.
- If you experience gas or unpleasant odors, try eating butter, yogurt, and parsley and avoid dried fruits, onions, cabbage, and vegetables with the skin left on, among other foods.
- When you have diarrhea, eat white bread, pasta, carrots, grilled fish, plantains, grated apple, add lime juice to your meal and drink water.
- If you are constipated, opt for salads, fruit juices, meats, fish and whole wheat bread.
Related article: 5 ways to prevent different types of cancer