Self-Care 10 October, 2018 Maria Clara Restrepo E.
Knee issues can occur with an injury, a disease or if they not functioning as they should.
If you are experiencing pain, MedlinePlus recommends a few ways to treat your knee at home:
- Rest and avoid activities that cause pain. Avoid putting weight on your knee.
- Apply ice. Start by applying it hourly for 15 minutes. After the first day, apply it at least 4 times a day. Cover your knee with a towel before applying ice.
- Keep the knee elevated as much as possible to reduce swelling.
- Use an elastic bandage or elastic brace. This can reduce swelling and provide support.
- Sleep with a pillow under or between the knees.
If your symptoms continue, the general recommendation is to see a specialist. Keep in mind that the symptoms in this area of the body vary depending on the type of injury or disorder; however, most conditions are painful and can limit your mobility. Different causes of this pain include:
- Arthritis. This includes rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, lupus and gout.
- Baker’s cyst. Liquid-filled swelling located behind the knee that can occur with inflammation from other causes, such as arthritis.
- Cancers that can spread to the bones or start in them.
- An infection in the bones of the knee.
Related article: The most common reasons behind knee pain