Prevention 14 August, 2018 Maria Clara Restrepo E.
When you can’t go to the gym every day, at-home exercise equipment or machines are a good option. When you buy them, however, be sure they fit your lifestyle.
Before buying exercise equipment or machines, keep the following recommendations in mind:
- Start exercising: Avoid thinking that the simple fact of buying exercise equipment will be enough to change your habits. Are you ready to follow through with your good and healthy intentions? If you have not yet started exercising, start now.
- Find the right equipment: Before making a purchase, try out different types of equipment at local gyms, at recreation centers or even at a friend’s home.
- Read reviews: To have an idea of how a product works, read magazines that specialize on rating exercise equipment and determine whether the product you are interested in will help to meet your goals, whether that means strengthening your body, increasing your flexibility, or improving your physical resistance or your state of health.
- Ask for advice: Physical trainers have experience with different forms of equipment. Go to one you trust and ask for a recommendation for a good machine that fits your goals.
- Keep your medical history in mind: Keeping your medical background in mind is important, such as whether you have had a back injury, heart problems or other health issues. This will help you choose equipment that is not harmful to any part of your body. When you do this, seeking the advice of specialist is key.
The U.S. Federal Trade Commission also recommends not getting carried away by advertisements that promise fast and easy results that are not proven by scientific evidence. “To get the benefits of exercise, you have to do the work,” this agency states.
Related article: The effects of not getting enough exercise