Starting a yoga practice requires discipline, support and most importantly, the desire to make it a part of your lifestyle.
While it can be considered an exercise or sport, the philosophy of yoga is it to make it a daily activity as if it were part of your regular habit as human.
Dora Leyland Ortiz, a yoga instructor at Sri Lankha Yoga and Smartworkout, explains that not much is needed for this practice. All you need is a good space, “…that is peaceful, clean and quiet; a yoga mat; comfortable clothes; and depending on your personal preference, candles and scented oils. If you are going to practice Yoga Lyengar, only a few specific items are necessary; but well-known yoga masters do not use anything for this practice. The most important thing is to be determined, willing and committed,” Leyland states. (Read also: Yoga: A lifestyle)
Yoga Lyengar is a type of yoga that that focuses on alignment and includes variations such as placing a leg in the air.
Keep in mind:
- It is important to follow the guidance of an instructor or someone who is knowledgeable on the topic, whether in person or online.
- Never try advanced poses without supervision or without having gone through the basic and intermediate levels of yoga.
- It is important to understand that you should never enter yoga sessions under the effects of drugs or alcohol.
- Pregnant women should always wait until their second trimester before doing yoga.
- During the exercises, try to be especially careful with your neck, spine and knees.
A yoga mat is an essential element of yoga. The purpose of a yoga mat is to provide comfort and safety during the practice of this discipline, cushioning and protecting you from the floor. It is therefore important to choose one carefully.