Self-care 8 September, 2018 Maria Clara Restrepo E.
Changing your habits, such as doing simple stretching exercises and spending a few minutes giving yourself a massage can help eliminate tension and relieve pain.
According to the Occupational Safety Institute (INSHT) in Spain, the best way to prevent contractures and neck pain is to constantly do exercises that help improve blood flow and muscle contractions in the back.
INSHT offers a series of exercises that you can do daily in order to get relief from this irritating pain.
- Rotate your head in circles. Do them slowly, first to one side and then the other. (Repeat 5 times).
- Raise your shoulders up. Raise them up slowly and lower them again. (Repeat 5 times).
- Try to bring your shoulder blades together. Interlace your fingers behind your neck as you do this. Hold this position for 5 seconds and relax.
- Stretch out your arms in front of you. Hold this position for 15 seconds at chest level with your fingers interlaced.
Keep in mind: Once you feel pain in your cervical vertebrae, do not wait for the pain to worsen. Giving yourself a massage can help relax your musculature.
A few tips:
- Gently put pressure on your neck and upper back with the tips of your fingers.
- Find a spot where you feel the greatest amount of pain and press down on it firmly.
Related article: Good posture when sitting