Some wounds can become complicated. Cleaning them properly and using products to prevent infection are crucial to avoiding these complications.
According to the American Academy of Dermatology, an infected wound can spread to the surrounding skin, causing different types of complications.
Related article: Skincare after 40 (article in Spanish)
How to treat a wound
- Inspect the wound carefully, this is the only way to know how serious it is.
- Wash it with warm water and soap. This will help eliminate any dirt it may have.
- Prevent infections by using a topical antibiotic ointment, at least for the first day.
- Cover the wound with a bandage, this will help keep it clean and reduce the risk of infection.
- Continue keeping a careful eye on the wound as it heals to make sure it does not get infected. Keep in mind that if the wound is healthy, it will have a pinkish color to it that will lighten over time.